Thursday, November 02, 2006

Milestones

This was a landmark day. The womanchild got her learner's permit. She's been driving for awhile, but a few months ago, she hit the curb turning onto the road home and blew out a tire. She got scared and hasn't been behind the wheel since. She's wanted to get back behind the wheel, and I wanted her able to do so without killing my insurance. After all she could have gotten her license last month if she'd already had her permit. Now, on her third time taking the test, she's finally legal to drive. She feels like she's met her first goal of the school year. Getting her grades up is number two. That's her goal, not mine, I promise. Getting a job is third. This is a huge step towards her independence, and I'm proud of her.

It was a big day for me as well. This was the weekly weigh-in, and I hit my milestone. I lost a little over three pounds this week, bringing my weight loss to exactly 25 pounds. I feel good about that. C. accompanied me to my meeting because we hit the Department of Transportation before I hit the scales. She pointed out what I had already feared. I'm not the only one there who's obsessive over this diet, and the meeting felt to her like the breeding ground for eating disorders. I reminded her that for most of us, this one hour a week is the only time we actually get to talk about how we manage our food and how it affects us, but I knew exactly what she meant.

I was put on my first diet when I was five. I went to Weight Watchers the first time when I was ten. The principles of this diet may be sound, but the zealousness and enthusiasm with which some people pursue dieting in a support group environment is something that can be easily twisted into something dark and dangerous. I've wondered many times if I hadn't gotten force fed a diet mentality at too young of an age if I would have had some of the food and thus weight issues I've had. Knowing all of this, I was still proud and pleased to walk to the front and accept a little refrigerator magnet saying, "I did it! I lost 25 pounds."

I had a great Weight Watchers laugh when I found this website, www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html the other day. I remember some of these recipe cards from my days as an early teen in the program. Looking at them now, I know completely why I hated it so much back then. It's hilarious now, and I'm grateful the recipes are much, much, much better now.


4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Whe we first started going to WW, hubs and I stayed for the meetings...accepted the wisdom therein, and blew off the rest. Since I've never been a "joiner," once I had the formula in hand, and knew how to use it, the "support group" aspect of the WW experience faded into the background for me. Often, we would weigh in and not stay for the actual meetings.

The science behind the Weight Watchers philosophy is sound. I recognized that, and did not feel I had to be a rah-rah convert in order to make use of the tools they provided. I'm a solid believer in the WW program...but I am just not the "support group" type. But you don't have to be in order to use the program successfully.

November 03, 2006 12:36 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

Hi Cynthia, The link isn't working for me, but congratulations on your milestone.

I haven't tried Weight Watchers, but I'm not comfortable with or proud of my weight these days, so you've given me some food for thought. I'm seeking some guidance out of this bog of compulsive eating and inadequate nourishment, but I'm not sure any diet program or support group is going to have what I need.

November 04, 2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

25 pounds is GREAT!!!!!!

Good job.

November 04, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

My daughter has had her learners permit for about 2 weeks now. She's doing really well....and I'm holding up ok too!
:)

Good work on your milestone at WW. I need to go back. Taking that first step is the hardest.

November 05, 2006 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home