Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo humbug

I t happens every year, but I just can't give up. The jack-o-lantern was placed on the front steps. A pot of bright yellow mums was on the other side. Standing by the handrail was a wooden witch with a black cat holding a Happy Halloween sign. The lights were on. I even kept the wooden front door open and the foyer light on. On the table in the entry hall were two large lit candles. More candles were visible in the darkened dining room at the end of the hall. I don't know how to describe this thing without making it sound tacky, but it's basically a water fountain in a frosted glass stand that has vapor rolling from it as well the water falling. In its base is a soft light that changes color. I thought the vapor was nice Halloween touch. The candy, all miniature Hershey candy bars, were in the bowl with the green hand emerging from the bottom. When something gets too close to the hand, it moves and says, "Get away from my candy." I had my pointed witch hat ready. In fact, I wore it to work today with one of my basic black work dresses and make-up that hinted at gothiness. I stopped short of actually dressing in costume this year. Not a soul came to my door. Damn! My family and I are the only people on my block who are under sixty, and I just guess the kids have given up. I can't though. As long as little goblins are out there and full of trickery, I will be prepared.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

You needed to be at my house this evening (I wasn't, but the husband was...) Apparently, we had another bumper crop of trick-or-treaters. Maybe it's the fact that we live right next to the cemetery...

BTW, that jack-o-lantern is just gross!

November 01, 2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I think your jack-o-lantern might have scared away all the little kids! We had a handful of kids who braved the rain to come to our place. We didn't decorate at all. I think anymore, most kids stick to having parties or going to churches and places like that for their treats.

November 01, 2006 6:03 AM  
Blogger Robbie said...

They were there in spirit.

Bwahahahaha.

I live in an apartment and the first several years didn't receive any trick-or-treaters so I didn't buy any candy this year and hid out with the lights off.

November 01, 2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

I love the pumpkin pic. I am in shock that I just realized you found my experimental jnl...hahhaahah. Being caught not using spell check!! It was a kind of cool collage, wasn't it. I had to show the web guy what I wanted. So I came up with that! I just fell in love with that picture that I found in a 1969 Life magazine. Just love it!!

November 01, 2006 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had taken a pic of a similar jack-o-lantern...the only difference? The eyes were giant crosses. So if i post it, don't think I'm stealing...lol!

November 01, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

Thats too bad. Don't you live close to the country? I think the serious trick or treaters go to more condense areas in order to rack up the most.

Your area does sound nice and quiet though. That is one advantage.

November 02, 2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Virginia said...

The pumpkin is hilarious!

Peace, Virginia

November 02, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

Love that jack-o-lantern. I think the kids around here would love it. Gross is good as long as the candies keep coming.

November 04, 2006 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home