Thursday, October 26, 2006

The theater, the theater

I just got back from a community theater production of You Can't Take It With You. Being the hopeless, time warped romantic with delusions of creativity that I am, I've always loved the movie. With Frank Capra, Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur, Capra's always delightful cast of character actors, it's just yummy, popcorny, pop in a dvd, rainy afternoon goodness.

The production was as good and bad as one expects from community theater -- some wonderful performances (including one from the womanchild's beau) and some not so much. Either way, I've got to admire the guts it takes for everyday people to get on the stage out of sheer love for it.

I have to admit that it was a hoot seeing the attorney who helped me decipher daddy's will as the Russian dance instructor, a doctor acquaintance as the Wall Street whiz and stuffed shirt society man, a very proper teacher as a drunk, an up and coming young businessman as the love smitten fiance' and a father playing the police officer arresting his son as an illegal fireworks engineer in a moment of slapstick brilliance. One of the husband's cousins played the grandfather. He also served as an acting coach this summer in the youth production of Beauty and the Beast in which the womanchild played some extra roles. She's totally awed with his creativity, talent and sensitivity. (I've always wondered if his rather intimidating law enforcement officer father who's reminiscent of a hawk on the hunt felt the same way.) This is one of the pleasures of community theater for me.

A middle school production in which I was struck suddenly mute with stage fright drove me away from the stage. I haven't done anything in a play since other than move props occasionally. Part of me will always wonder though what it would be like to step out of my own skin and be someone else for a little while. Ah well, we always wish for the talents we don't have. I'd love to be able to sing and do stand up comedy as well, but I have a really good idea of how horrible I'd be.

All in all, it was a really nice night. I needed that. I think the teenager's boyfriend knows now why C. was hesitant to introduce him to her family. (If only our family's eccentricities were as charming as the family's in the play.) It's always a delight to see her face fill with the pleasure of seeing her talented boyfriend, and I'll give the kid credit for picking a really good guy for her first love. She's a hell of lot smarter than I was at her age.

Plus ... I had the added bonus of being reminded of Gigi of Lotus Martinis, http://lotusmartinis.blogspot.com. One of the first entries on her old AOL blog that I ever read was on how much she loved You Can't Take It With You. I've been hooked ever since. Our birthdays are close, maybe even a day apart, give or take the years. She was adopted into her family, like me. We also share the "gift" of a wandering eye. She's a wonderful artist, a gifted writer, and I'd like to think that if I had any sense of cool whatsoever, I'd be more like her. Anyway check out her blog, it's good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robbie said...

I acted and performed as a child and loved it but was never encouraged to pursue any kind of creativity as a profession. I'm kind of glad too because living in LaLa land has really shown me how beat up people's egos are when their means of earning a living are so centered on their looks and acceptance.

I love what you wrote about Gigi. She is the Queen of Cool and a wonderful person to know. Having her as a friend is definitely one of the bonuses I've been rewarded from blogging.

October 27, 2006 8:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I was a munchkin in our eight grade production of The Wizard of Oz. Does that count?:)

October 27, 2006 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home