Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Movies, movies, movies

I got to watch one of my favorite movies tonight, The Big Easy. I love that movie. Its music always makes me want to dance, and no matter how many times I hear Dennis Quaid say the line, "Well, your luck's about to change, cher," I just sigh. I've always thought that this was as close to a perfect date movie as one could get. It's got romance, some serious sensual steam, great chemistry between the leads, suspense, and some wonderful action scenes. And of course, New Orleans is as much a character in the film as a setting.

I just love movies. I've gone on before about how I love the old classics, but that's not all I love. Sometimes, nothing but a serious chick flick, like Steel Magnolias, will do. I love the Merchant - Ivory lush period pieces. I love to see a good book become a good movie, because it's so rarely done, and Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility is simply wonderful. I adore Mel Brooks movies. Honestly, what's not to love about Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and The History of the World, Part I? Heaven help me, sometimes I find myself humming "We're men. We're men in tights..." from Robin Hood, Men in Tights for no reason what so ever.

I love I Heart Huckabees and its metaphysical musings, not to mention that Jason Schwartzman and Jude Law make the watchability factor very high. Quirkiness is a factor that I love in movies, and that has made Shaun of the Dead one of my very favorite movies. You simply have to love a movie that bills itself as a romantic love story with zombies and has lines like "I don't think I can handle shooting my mum, my flatmate and my girlfriend all in one day."

This may sound like a serious departure from my other movie tastes, but I love Quentin Tarantino movies. His love of movies is so obvious that it makes his own movies so watchable. Ving Rhames saying, "I'm about to get medieval on your ass," gives me the chills, and Harvey Keitel as Winston Wolf in Pulp Fiction is a role model for keeping my cool when the pressure is on. This may be totally sick, but I crack up during the Kill Bill movies. Daryl Hannah saying, "I killed your master," is simply classic.

A good movie is such a pleasure, and tonight, I have the feeling that zydeco music and sexy cajun accents will creep into my dreams.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Movies are a wonderful way to tell stories. And I've learned a lot about writing by watching movies. It's how I [finally] learned how to construct scenes. I tend to like the dark, serious movies best, but I also like some quirky movies. I'd say Broken Flowers is quirky [the same director did Dead Man, starring Johnny Depp: if you haven't seen it already, it is so worth it]. Magnolia [not Steel Magnolias] is one of my all-time favorites. And, Cynthia, I am quite serious that you should watch the silent film, The Joan of Arc, as well as a work by the same director called Ordet. Ordet will blow you away!

April 12, 2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

You are more than welcome to write a piece for my movie blog. I would love to have your take on any movie you desire.

http://pajamawearingblogger.blogspot.com/

April 12, 2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

I seriously, truly, love Pulp Fiction. It took a long time for me to get brave enough to watch it because I actually have a very hard time with graphic movie violence. But holy cow, the writing, the dialogue...it blows me away every time. I adore that movie. Every single character is fabulous because their part was so well written and they deliver every line flawlessly. I love 'em all, but Harvey Keitel? You've heard me say it before: Unh!

April 13, 2006 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home