Sunday, January 08, 2006

HTML Madness

I absolutely hate it when something gets stuck in my head. My luck with adding Feedblitz to my sidebar made me decide to screw my courage up and play with HTML. I found the cool moon phase calculator and the weather button. I finally got my AOL Exodus bar to display correctly. Then I started to add links and for some reason I still can't figure out, I got an extra space in between each link. I hate that look. I can't get my Technorati button to embed even though the code was supposed to be just copy and paste. Where the template allows a line of text to show up in the sidebar, the quote I had picked out won't show up. And I can't find the wonderful HTML tutorial I found yesterday.

A bigger crazy making factor though is I want a new template, something simple, feminine and maybe even elegant. I've scoured website after website. I've found tons of anime'. I found skins with pictures too strong for the text, the main feature of my blog, to really show. I found designs with instructions too technically written for my frazzled brain to handle. Everything was too immature, too girlie as opposed to womanly, too blocky, too something to satisfy me. Where do y'all find those great templates? Please don't tell me you created them, or I'll start pulling my hair out.

The biggest annoyance though is that I can't let this go. The pit bull portion of my brain has clamped down and refuses to release. The way things look now is driving me crazy, and I want to feel good about my little blog. I like pretty offline journals as well. I wish I was this compulsive about spelling and grammatical errors. My writing skills would progress geometrically. It's time to send my mind to go stand in the corner. It's time to get off my butt and wash those dishes, play with my dogs or harass the husband and womanchild.

Help me before I code again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Virginia said...

Perhaps you should talk to Jodi who did a lot to give Judi's journal a makeover.

I never found a skin that I really liked either. Just living with this one for now. However, someday, just maybe, I'll learn how to make my own. Gives me a goal to look forward to....

January 08, 2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

well, I can tell you that you have a problem with your code for the links it looks like, and that is why you are getting that annoying extra space....... it needs to be exact..... I just emailed you a sample.
All the backslashes and everything are vital.

Little by little you can change it.... but be SURE to save your template each time before changing anything on Notepad or something similar. I have a whole file on the hard drive of the template stages I have gone through to get my blog to this point.

Don't give up:):):)

January 08, 2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

The most I know about the HTML aspect of this whole thing is that I can make italics and bold face in comments. I don't like the journals with all the flashy templates, because they DO take away from the writing. I'll stick with the black for now, and look out for something more later.

I had to laugh about your dismay over obsessing over your journal issues, to the exclusion of all else. I spent about four hours composing my latest post, and then we finally got our DSL line hooked up, and I had to fiddle with that for an hour or so. And then I struggled over getting my wireless to work on my laptop. That ate up about another two hours. I've basically been sitting on my ass bent over computer screens all day. Oh well!

January 08, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger hestiahomeschool said...

I have never figured out any of the html...I think I might have a special computer learning disability...

January 09, 2006 5:38 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I know exaxtly what you mean, I'm sorry to say. I spent much of yesterday setting up a new journal for my Iona group -- and part of it online with Judi trying to figure out the in and outs of a team blog. I have issues with mine too -- maybe Jodi is going to get a great little business going.

January 09, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

Kudos to you for your efforts. I come home from work too tired to even attempt it. I worked on Saturday and worked an extra day this week so on Sunday I just laid in bed too tired to do anything. This is my day off and so far I went to the lab to have blood drawn, took the cat to the vet and I still need to get groceries. I just can't find the time to attempt it and it seems right now too much for me to even try.

January 09, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I like what you have done and can't wait to see the perfect template on your blog :)

January 10, 2006 4:22 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Okay I wont tell you I made them LOL
I wouldnt want to be the cause of your alopecia...hee hee
I am willing to Help ya sistah!

Throw me a line!!!!

January 11, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Celeste said...

I would like to find a different template also. I don't know why because no one visits my blogspot journal.

January 13, 2006 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home