Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Chillin' out

"No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater than central air." ~ Azrael, the muse turned demon in Dogma.

A little while ago, I heard some of the most wonderful words I've heard in awhile, "Mom, it's too cold in here."

The thermostat was set on 74 degrees. That's right -- the thermostat! My central air and heat pump was finally replaced today after it died in February. Saving up for it was a struggle, but it is paid for. We got through the winter with space heaters and sweaters, spring with fans, open windows and fly swatters. When summer was threatening to melt us, a friend installed two window units. Then this heat wave hit, and they couldn't get the temperature below 80 degrees. 74 degrees now feels grab-a-blanket chilly.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It's amazing how much more I get done when I'm not dripping sweat. I've even ironed tonight. The husband finally finished painting my office tonight, well, the walls at least. The trim still needs to be done. He only finished priming the walls about six months ago, so this is a fairly timely project for him. If he doesn't hide the paint brushes again, I can finish up tomorrow and get my pictures back on the wall. I miss having Judith Heartsong's Rainbow People flank my window as I sit here writing. A large part of creativity for me is feeling connected, and these twin paintings remind me of that and help me open to those connections. With the paintings back in place, the floors scrubbed, and a new. serene, ice blue atmosphere, my office will be my little haven again.

That's another thing for my gratitude list tonight. That little sucker is growing.

2 Comments:

Blogger alphawoman said...

Imust not be paying attention, I thought the Hubs drove off to find employment in another area. I spent several years in a house without central heat nor air. Only one window unit and a floor furnace (remember the kind that you stood over!)...it's a good thing you got your fixed. Saving for something is difficult. Congrats.

August 22, 2007 6:25 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

oh, it is so important to have a haven, and I am honored beyond belief that I am a part of your special place. You are a very important part of a special place of mine as well... your wonderful words grace the sidebar of my blog every day:)

So glad your ac is humming!

August 23, 2007 6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home