Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rest in Peace

Hearing of Liz Claiborne's death made me genuinely sad this morning. In the eighties, when I was working in a department store that has since been taken over by Macy's, her designs were darn near omnipresent. Simply everyone carried her purses. I never cared for them. They felt like plastic, and the logo was simply everywhere. Her clothing though, oh I loved it, but I couldn't fit into it. Then came the Elisabeth plus-size line. Claiborne was the first fashion designer who got that large women enjoy clothing, fashion, looking good and having style, just like our skinnier sisters. Respecting the numbers fixation I share with so many other women, I have to admit I love that her clothing is generously sized, and most women I know, including myself, can usually wear a size smaller in Liz than we can in other clothing lines.

Not only did Claiborne empower larger women to look beautiful, she put her time, energy and money into foundations for empowering women to economic independence and self-sufficiency as well as environmental conservation.

A moment of silence for the passing of a notable lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

Nice tribute, and I didn't know that about her.

Judi

June 29, 2007 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home