Friday, November 17, 2006

A History

I loved you with
the shy heart of upcast doe eyes,
trembling lashes and scabbed knees.
A ribbon clad dancer
laughing during hide and seek.
I loved you with

the throbbing heart of moist open thighs
and the sweet earth, ocean salt rush
of bared teeth and curled toes
flung to the night sky.
I loved you with
the milk dripping heart of swollen breasts
where words and tears
whispered into that soft valley
melted into the beat, beat, beat
of the life drum underneath.
I loved you with
the wild heart of the warrior
poised with full quiver and taut bow.
Eye fiercely cast
on the snapped twig rustle
in the forest before us.
I loved you with
the gray, quiet heart of weary confusion.
A char-woman carrying
broom and dustpan
collecting the ashes of burning silence.
I love you still
with the strong heart of a winged hunter,
who waits in silence with round eyes,
open and wise in the cold dark,
then dives and collects
only its own meal
and then soars away,
trusting at last that you can do the same.

Copyright 2006.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful...your words are very vivid...

November 17, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

This is awesome, Cynthia. It grips my gut...

November 17, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Very passionate and truthful. I can imagine how you were feeling as you wrote it. I do wonder who is the object of this passionate love? The poem seems to move from innocence to experience, through the various phases of a woman's life.

November 18, 2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home