Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Mornings are usually my private time. In a family of night owls, early morning hours are my refuge from the demands of family life. I can usually count on being alone, and my family can count on my grumpiness if they do wake earlier than anticipated and tread on "my" time. I need that precious privacy to switch gears.

Beyond that, I love that transition time when you're between two states of being and hold a little of both within you. Those moments between yin and yang are delicious. They're so good that I fear I hang onto them longer than I should. Maybe I'm just greedy, wanting everything all at once, sleepiness and wakefulness, earthiness and spirituality, light and shadow, cause and effect.

The catch is that you have to let go of one state to fully grab onto the next. I'm beginning to think that timing is the trick. On the playground, swinging from the monkey bars, there was always that moment when you knew you just had the next bar, and you could let go of the last. I was never any good at that either, but it's not too late to learn.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Monkey bars are such a distant memory...

April 23, 2006 11:37 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

What a great analogy. But it's not just time; it's the willingness to let go.

April 24, 2006 6:30 AM  
Blogger Globetrotter said...

Cynthia,

I was never good at the monkey bar thing either. Probably why I broke my fingers the very day of my piano recital. Timing is everything and we learn as we make mistakes.

April 24, 2006 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home