Friday, August 02, 2013

Salut

Raise your glass, my friends.
Here's to the women
who still laugh after tears
recalling bruises and fists.
Brava for the women
who say, "Let them have it.
I know I'll go on."
A song for the mothers
who know waiting rooms
and funeral homes
the way others know play dates
and prom dates.
A chant for the women
who bandage their wounds,
then work helping others heal.
Whoop for the women
who see into eyes too bright, too wide
and tend with lipstick on a shaky smile.
Applaud for the women
who open their hearts
and let you see inside.
Hurrah for the women
whose straight backs and vinegar words
keep them moving
when their strength is gone.
A prayer for the women
who position, twist and spin
with a chessboard eye
when hoping hearts and clever minds
collide and race.
A hug for the women
standing in shadow with dulled eyes
blind to the light they give.
Rejoice for the women
who don't know they soar
on a leap of faith.
Here's to the women,
my friends.
The women,
whose scars are jewels
on lives
rendered deep,
painted bold,
and rich beyond measure.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gberger said...

How well you've captured so many of "my tribe" in this lovely poem...I'm here visiting you because one of them (Robin Craig) mentioned your beautiful poetry. Thank you for sharing it here.

August 02, 2013 10:19 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Wow.

August 03, 2013 9:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

This is powerful. I see myself in it. And you, and Robin, and so many others.

August 03, 2013 6:53 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

You're right, Lisa. You're there, Robin, too. So are quite a few others. With love and respect for us all.

August 03, 2013 8:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

FOUND IT! I love this poem. I see the SS in it. :)

August 03, 2013 11:27 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I am so moved by this. I see myself and so many people I know and love. This is a very powerful piece. Love it. XOXOX

August 04, 2013 4:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Words fail me, which is rare these days. This post is so beautifully done. I know all who read it will be as impressed...as touched as I am. I am so happy to have found your blog again.

November 24, 2013 10:22 PM  
Anonymous fifa14.vipmmobank said...

What could Miyamoto work on currently?Miyamoto just lately gave a meeting on the Related Press since seen by Zoomin Games, wherever it turned out said and a fresh Pikmin video game to the Wii Oughout and also Luigi's Estate Only two to the Nintendo 3ds, Miyamoto are at focus on a fresh house.
Cheap Fifa 15 Coins

Fut 15 coins

September 17, 2014 1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home