Thursday, September 01, 2011

Stuck in idle

Thursday evening. I'm back on the screened in porch, this time sweating while the sun goes down. I spend my days now rotating between the womanchild's bedroom, the living room, the kitchen and this porch. Before it gets too hot, I'll take a walk. I hit the fifteen minute mark day before yesterday. Yesterday, I found out that was a bit too much right now. I was weak and tired all day. Today, though, other than just a little soreness on two of the incisions, I feel fine enough to wonder why I have to be off work until October. I know something will come along to let me know just exactly why.

I'm just bored out of my skull, and it bothers me that my biggest accomplishment in the last few days has been that my digestive system is now fully functioning again. I've satisfied a long denied emotional need for some time to just do nothing, and I'm ready for more. I'm on my fourth book, and I'm halfway through the second season of The Tudors. I won't even mention how much time I've spent on Facebook. There are six more days until I can drive again, and I'm hoping I can hold out that long. I think this would be easier if I were in my own home. There are a lot of things I could do there that wouldn't violate my lifting limits, but I would have run out of food days ago.

This is a good lesson in patience and gratitude. I'm just not in the mood to be a good student.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

I have not and probably never will master patience. I have been cooped up in my house or a hospital since May mainly and I am chomping at the bit at the thought that I can TRY to drive next week. I am not someone who wants to hang out alone at home. Problem is, going places and doing things will be money I don't have right now.

September 03, 2011 3:09 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

Cynthia,
Everyone recovers differently from their hysterectomy. I heard of women bragging how quickly they recovered and how quickly they started walking long distance. I can't help but wonder if they were all being foolish and trying to one-up others, just like women like to brag how much weight they have lost etc. to one-up the other women around them. All foolishness. I took longer to heal than I thought I would. (The operation turned out to be far more complicated than anyone anticipated.) It was frustrating, but when I did do too much my body absolutely told me so. Listen to your body. Don't look at any calendar. And most of all, don't force yourself into anyone else's expectations.

Virginia

September 07, 2011 7:32 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Ooo...I should have read this post first, before I started yammering on about exercise like some demented Richard Simmons. I'm sorry. You are moving that beautiful bod. I'm just not keeping up. Have patience with me too. I hardly ever know what I'm saying. :)

But, I just found The Tudors! How cool is that show? I don't get premium channels, so I don't see the original broadcast, but I just got it on BBC. I heart it so much.

September 12, 2011 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home