Thursday, April 12, 2007

The weekly weigh in, week 31

Just as I expected, I gained weight this week. Considering that I stayed within both my daily and weekly points allowance, I'm convinced that missing the diuretics and blood pressure medication for several days is the cause. The good news is that I gained a lot less than I thought I had.

I weighed myself at home before heading to my meeting. When I weighed in at the meeting, I found that my scales (the Weight Watchers brand) register 1.6 pounds less than the official scales. Because mine is a digital scale, I have no idea how to reset it. A few years ago, heck, even a few months ago, this would have really upset me. Today, it reinforced how meaningless these numbers can be. Unless, we're using true weights and countermeasures, we really have no idea if a scale is accurate or not. Those numbers are approximations at best. So, why do we give them so much power?

Am I a better person because I'm considerably smaller now than I was six months ago? I feel stronger, but not because of the numbers on the scale. I feel stronger because I'm accomplishing something. I'm making healthier choices. Goodness, I'm actually exercising regularly. It's been years since I've felt able to do that. I've re-educated my palate in several ways. I've reinforced limits and boundaries with myself and with others who have innocently tried to encourage me to "enjoy" life more through food or not so innocently tried to sabotage my efforts. These are the real accomplishments. The smaller size is the side effect, and good health is the goal. I don't look notably different this week from last week. I see the changes, but no one else would. Was I a good person last week because I lost weight and a bad person this week because I gained? I'm not buying into that particular brand of BS anymore.

After this rant, posting the numbers of my weight gain and loss may seem hypocritical, but they do serve as benchmarks. So for what they're worth, here are the markers from this week of my journey.

Weekly Summary: Weekly gain -- 2.6 pounds. Total loss -- 56.8 pounds. Average weekly weight loss -- 1.83 pounds.

health and wellness, diets, weight loss, Weight Watchers

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

No doubt in my mind that the diuretics (or absence thereof) were the culprits here. Your attitude, your health, and your spirit are all going in the right direction, so the numbers don't always indicate "success."

You rock, my friend

April 12, 2007 11:15 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I don't think I remember to say this often enough but, Congratulations! You are doing incredible work here; internally, externally and emotionally.

Age, weight; they are just numbers. Not insigificant, certainly ~ there are physical consequences to both ~ but nor do they define us to the extent that we allow them to. We all (especially women) give them too much power, I think.

Yay you! :)

April 15, 2007 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home