Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Wrapping up a busy day

My printer is spitting out the inserts for the folders I'll be taking on sales calls tomorrow. I'll be stuffing them before bedtime tonight. During American Idol, I was adding brochures, magnets and business cards. I still have to get my maps for tomorrow because I'm going to a town I haven't visited in over ten years, and with gas prices what they are, I don't want to waste my money looking for the offices I'll be visiting. I've never minded working unusual hours, but tonight, this just feels both wrong and sadly satisfying in that nasty, miserable way of martyrdom. ("Oh, woe is me, giving up my evenings to work." This has to be pictured with the back of one hand placed dramatically on the forehead.) The simple truth is that if I didn't want to be doing this, I wouldn't be. I'd much rather be doing this now than first thing in the morning. I'd rather do it in the comfort of my home in my years softened nightgown than in the office and the suit I'll be dying to shed by tomorrow afternoon. I had to go the long way around to find it tonight, but I really like my job, even when I am still working this late.

This morning, the womanchild left at 6:00 a.m. for the University of Tennessee at Knoxville for the global competition of Destination ImagiNation, http://globalfinals.org (since my links never seem to work). This could have been held anywhere, but the year she gets to go, it's in her home state. I wish she'd had a better travel opportunity, but with the fundraising we've had to do in the last month since her team qualified, I'm a bit grateful as well. Tennessee sends ten teams each from the elementary, middle and high school levels to the global competition. Each school system is responsible for funding its qualifying teams. Out of those thirty teams, our little town with only three schools has five teams who made it past hundreds of competitors at the regional and state level to get this opportunity. I'm definitely proud. This is C.'s first trip anywhere without a family member along, and I hope it's a wonderful adventure for her. Last night, she said her primary goal was to meet a hot British boy. That kid loves to get a rise out of me. This afternoon, she sent me a text message and said it was a hot Canadian instead. Why do I have the feeling that her teenage years are getting more interesting for her and more challenging for me? I'm very glad that her team mother is in the adjoining bedroom of her suite. Last night, as we were packing the one bag she was allowed to bring, she also found out that she got a small part in the upcoming local community theater production of Beauty and the Beast. She and one of her good friends will be "sausage girls," singing and dancing breakfast foods. Both are a bit nervous that their costumes will be rather phallic. Her freshman year in high school has come to an end on a couple of very good high notes.

Well, my inserts have finished printing, and I still have maps to find. I've been up since 4:00 a.m., and I think some sleep could serve me well tonight. That will come after the work is done.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in my 20's I thought it was cool to talk about how I had to go in on Saturday for inventory, or how I went in to work with only 1 1/2 hours sleep, or bringing folders home.

At least your 'nighter was just to get your day off to a smooth, flowing start.

May 26, 2006 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home