Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Flipping the switch

Sometimes I bitch about not being able to turn off the brain. Last week I stumbled over the switch and basically just phoned my life in. I functioned well enough to handle my job decently, but when the work day was over, I sat and stared with the remote control firmly in my hand. I didn't want to write. I didn't want to read anything requiring thought. I didn't want to ramble the farm or escape to someplace more exciting.

A trip would probably have been the better choice, but sometimes I think we all just need to shut down for awhile. I reaffirmed to myself that there's very little on television worth watching. I even watched the news without getting upset over the reporting or gleeful over the falling approval ratings of the current administration. I also proved to myself that even though I can twist myself up in numerous knots on a typical day, that's preferable to just drifting through life like an automaton.

By the weekend, I was up to some reading and eased my way back in with the last two books of the Harry Potter series. Tonight, I stepped up from young adult fiction with Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. It's an enjoyable read that made me wonder what a male label equivalent of chick lit would be. It also made me want to post my top five songs (which are of course subject to change).

My Top Five
1. The Eagles, Desperado
This is probably a song I should be ashamed of, but I can't help it. Too many memories of too many friends, naively thinking we were hard boiled loners years before we were even capable of that state.
2. Chicago, Saturday in the Park
This song always makes me feel happy. My husband calls it a Cindy song, because he can't hear it without thinking of me. He earned big points for that one.
3. Van Morrison, Moondance
This one ought to be obvious.
4. Elvis Presley, I Can't Help Help Falling in Love With You
I've tried not to like Elvis, but you can't take the Memphis out of the girl.
5. Aretha Franklin, Respect
A woman power song if there ever was one.

I haven't brushed off all the cobwebs and dust bunnies that gathered last week. I still feel rather dull, but I know the mental engine's been jump started. Who knows? I may even build up some speed now after my rest.


6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I was a little worried about you when you didn't post for several days. I thought you had completely blown your knee out and had to rush in for emergency surgery or something. Thank God it was only a teensy weensy mental breakdown. :D

May 18, 2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I'm attributing it to the weather here. I have been feeling so lethargic in my daily life.

May 18, 2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

A healthy shut down and reboot is oft needed and rarely taken. I'm just emerging from kind of a forced shutdown of my own, which is no fun to deal with.

May 18, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Like Van said...you meditate...you meditate...you meditate..and then you COME BACK.

Don't ever be embarrassed to love Desperado. It's only flaw is that it resonated too deeply with too many. But Saturday in the Park? Peter Cetera RUINED Chicago.

May 18, 2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Ok, I am no musical purist whatsoever - LOVE those songs!! (But I am a complete geek and prefer Andy Williams' version of Can't Help Falling...")

Nothing wrong with some vegging, my dear - nothing at all. It's all about living in the moment.

Love, Vicky

May 18, 2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger V said...

A couple:
Van Morrison; "Into the Mystic"
Rufus Wainwright: "Want"
V

May 20, 2006 5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home