Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas recap

Somewhere between my morning nap, my afternoon nap and my evening nap today, I realized that I had thoroughly enjoyed Christmas this year. I saw my husband's and daughter's faces glow in the candlelight of one church service, heard a dear friend play organ during mass at another and saw my preacher incorporate a miniature of the lamp from A Christmas Story into an uplifting and funny sermon at our third service in 18 hours. In the earliest hours of Christmas Day, I got to drive home on country roads filled with a fog that was mystical and beautiful rather than scary. I got to see children playing with presents that truly delighted them. I gave presents which people truly enjoyed, received presents that I love and served a decent meal late yesterday evening on a beautifully set table that reminded me of people and times I cherish. My grandmother's lace tablecloth, my mother's silver, my wedding china and crystal, new chargers given to me by my mother-in-law, the centerpiece my organ playing friend and I made together years ago were all tangible reminders of heritage and love. My in-laws were still laughing today over the dog that stole the dinner rolls.

It wasn't perfect. I would have loved to have been more generous. I would have loved to have seen my sister and nephew. However, it was warm, calm, peaceful and filled with laughter and hope. I go back to work tomorrow for a truncated week, and that feels good and right. Between a lovely holiday, today's rest and the anti-depressants starting to kick in, I feel energized and renewed. I couldn't ask for anything more.

9 Comments:

Blogger SolitaryDancer said...

Well it sounds like things went well. I am so glad you had a good time.

I am back to work as well. Feels odd, but in a good way.

December 27, 2005 7:32 AM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

Merry Christmas...it sounds like a truly blessed day.

December 27, 2005 8:36 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I'm so glad you had a great holiday, Cynthia. You needed it!

December 27, 2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Sie said...

Nice. It sounds like a wonderful Christmas.

December 27, 2005 11:03 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Lovely. One of the things that make Christmas so special are those cherished heirlooms that remind us of the people and places that we loved, and the special moments and gifts that we share. Auld lang sine.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Christmas! Here's wishing you a serenely Happy New Year... :)

December 27, 2005 2:55 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Oh yes, the naps!

December 27, 2005 5:21 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful holiday! Setting that table really was a great idea. The holidays can really help a funk.

Happy New Year!

December 27, 2005 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!
Paula
http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author/

December 28, 2005 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your holidays were peaceful and filled with nice memories. Tina

December 29, 2005 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home